Fashion tips for different body shapes & types
One size never fits all when it comes to fashion. A dress which would look flawless on a particular person or body type can turn out to be a complete disaster for another. Therefore, understanding your body and dressing accordingly is of utmost importance if you wish to upgrade your fashion quotient. Here is a comprehensive guide on how you can determine your body type and choose the correct clothes which would flatter your body.
Different types of body shapes
1. The AppleYou have an apple body shape if your bust is larger than your hips. Women with an apple body shape generally have broad shoulders, slender limbs, and have an undefined waistline.2.The Pear or TriangleYou are blessed with a pear-shaped body if your hips are wider than your shoulders. A small bust, well-defined waist and full thighs are common attributes of the pear body type.3.The Rectangle or StraightYou are blessed with a rectangle-shaped body if the width of the hips is same as the bust with little or no definition to the waist.4.The HourglassWomen with an hourglass body are endowed with a well-defined waist. The hips and the bust are roughly of the same width.
Dressing according to your body
The Apple Body Type Do(s)
- Go for dark colours, especially when choosing outfits for the upper body.
- Dresses or tops with a plunging or a V-neckline would best flatter your body shape.
- Choose dresses and kurtas with 3/4th or elbow sleeves.
- For Indian wear, go for A-line kurtas. Kurtas with short jackets would also look great on this body shape.
- You can also choose flared bottoms like palazzo pants which would go perfectly with A-line or loose-fitting kurtas. Don’t(s)
- Avoid clingy fabrics for your upper body.
- Horizontal stripes are a strict no-no for your body shape.
- Tops, dresses, and kurtas with a boat neck or halter neck.
The Pear Body Type Do(s)
- Look for tops and dresses which end just above or at your hips.
- Dresses and tops with sweet-heart and boat necklines would accentuate your bust.
- Layering is your best friend when it comes to adding fullness to your upper body. You can go for cardigans, shrugs, and embellished jackets.
- Go for dark colours when picking up pants or jeans.
- Choose dresses and kurtas with bell sleeves and kimono sleeves.
- When it comes to Indian wear, anarkali kurtas, net-sarees, and lehengas which flare from mid-waist would look good on you Don’t(s).
- Avoid crop tops.
- Stay away from embellished bottoms.
The Rectangle Body Type Do(s)
- Choose tops and dresses with scoop and boat necklines.
- Cap sleeves, 3/4th sleeves, loose fit and flared sleeves would work best for your body type.
- Wear belts on your waist in order to create the illusion of an hourglass figure.
- While choosing bottom wear, you may pick flared trousers and pencil skirts.
- When it comes to Indian wear, choose flared kurtas, patiala suits, and full flare lehengas. Don’t(s)
- Avoid vertical stripes
- Stay away from pencil trousers.
The Hourglass Figure Do(s)
- Opt for sweet heart and scoop necklines.
- Body-con & shift dresses, and peplum tops would hug your bodies at right places and accentuate your curves.
- Stick to tops or dresses in solid colours.
- Adding a belt at the narrowest part of your waist to emphasize it.
- For bottom wear, flared pants, palazzos, pencil skirts, and high waist jeans can be your best bets.
- When it comes to Indian wear, pick floor length anarkali kurtas, patiala with kurtas, sarees in georgette, net fabrics, or fishtail lehengas. Don’t(s)
- Stay away from turtle neck and high neck tops and dresses.
- Avoid double-breasted jackets as they would add extra volume around your bust.
So, now you are ready to give your wardrobe a makeover and you don’t have to play it safe anymore! Expand your wardrobe beyond your comfort styles now that you know you can explore more styles that work for your body shape. You can sign up for fashion and other courses at eahomecare.in/hobbies